Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What Can Writing Do?

I created this blog as an experiment in writing.  I started it with the intention of practicing this craft of writing.  And a week later, I don't have much to show for it.  I sat with a tutoring student today describing how author's take great pains to choose the right word to convey a theme or tone for their work.  As I was telling her this, I thought about how I don't do that same thing.  I tend to rush through.  I tend to overly-simplify things.  If I'm to do justice with writing, I need to be more careful of choosing my words.  Which leads me to today's post title: What Can Writing Do?  At the end of the day, what does this blog accomplish?  I'm not writing policy for a nation, life-changing novels or some guru guide to life.  But its precisely that prospect that drives me to better my writing and keep doing it.  I may not scribe the English language's next great opus, but I can use words to get thoughts on paper.  I can write stories that may transport a reader to a place of joy.  I can pen my own life and experiences if not for just myself, but maybe for my children one day to read (and hopefully) appreciate.  So, what can writing do?  Writing can change both the author and the reader.  And I've had the pleasure of experiencing both sides of that beautiful relationship.  So, why do you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment